Friday, June 6, 2008

Flashback Friday

In honor of my 10 year high school reunion this weekend, I thought I would throw in some old high school pictures. They only problem is, that was during my scrapbooking phase and they are not easy to scan. Here is one I found of Audra and me at graduation.

Let me share with you a little about our graduation. Sorry to you that know this story so well. Our graduation was planned for outside at the local college football stadium. That is all fine and dandy but we were in Kansas. I know everyone knows the story of the Wizard of Oz. Well, we are at graduation sitting in the middle of the football field and the wind starts to pick up and the clouds begin to roll in. Then the rain starts and the tornado sirens sound. You would think since we all lived in Kansas that we would have been calm and collected. You thought wrong. Everyone ran like crazy people to their cars, shelter or who knows where.

I ran for Christie's car because I had gotten a ride with her to graduation. We drove down the street to the high school and got in just as the hail began to fall. We then had to take shelter in the smelly locker rooms. Then someone ( I think our idiotic principal) gets the great idea to continue with graduation as the storm is raging. Now remember not everyone is at the high school. We all gather in the gym and start the ceremony.

Just a side note, the only members of my family at the high school were my brother and stepbrother. I still tell my parents they will never know if I really graduated because they were not there to see it.

Anyway, back to the graduation... they call the names of us that are there and we are about to throw our caps as some of the graduates come walking in from where they had taken shelter. So, they give them their diplomas and we finish. It was quite the eventful evening and something we will never forget.

Here is to the Class of '98, may our reunion be tornado free!

3 comments:

Jessica B said...

I love this story. I love to tell it to people that have never been to Kansas. I remember it looking like the scene from a movie. People were running in every direction and trying to get into the college buildings. Unfortunately all the buildings were locked because school was out for the summer (I had just finished my sophmore year there). I ran to a friends house nearby. It seems like Eryn was with me too. All I know is that of the six of us kids you were always the one most afraid of storms so it was a little ironic that the tornado came during your graduation.

Anonymous said...

wow--high school!! eek! it's been almost 15 years for me, ooooh--that sounds sooo old LOL! Thank you for stopping by my blog! Happy firday!!

Laura said...

Oh, the memories!!! What a circus that was...I remember it like it was yesterday! Hard to believe we're having our 10 year reunion this weekend. Can't wait to see you and PLEASE keep the tornados away!!