Thursday, August 18, 2011

School days, school days...

Our summer has come to an end and it is time for school to start.  We have had a great summer but I am ready to get back into a routine.  I am a little sad that we now have to be somewhere 5 mornings a week and can't stay home for jammie day.  I am sure we will survive.  Hadley has been talking about the first day of school since our vacation to Texas.  While we were there we let her pick out a first day of school outfit.  Our girly girl could not wait to wear it.  On Tuesday we went to finish paper work and meet her teacher.  I will tell you that at one point when I was in the first of two paper work lines and had been there for 30 minutes already, I was considering walking out and just forgetting the whole school thing.  But then I remembered it wasn't about me and Hadley will thrive at school.  She is such a social little girl and wants to learn about everything.  I am so excited to see all the new things she learns this year.  She loved meeting her teacher and I know they are going to have fun this year.
Today was her first day of school.  She only went for an hour this morning with 4 of her classmates.  Monday will be her first full morning of school with all 22 students there.  We celebrated the first day of school by going out for donuts with daddy.  We also had to take a few pictures before leaving.








Jillian was on the run this morning and it was hard to get a picture of her.  She wanted to go to school this morning but will have to wait a few more weeks.
So yes, I am the mom that will probably cry on the first day of school every year.  I won't say I cry because I am sad, I am just not good with change.  I am very excited for my kids to do new things and grow-up but I also like to keep them close and under my wing.  We have considered home schooling but I am just not sure that would be the right fit for Hadley and me.  She is more like me than I like to admit.  I know Hadley could tell I was having a hard time this morning.  I think I told her I loved her a million and one times.  On the way to school  I was talking to her and going over rules and manners with an I love you and you will have fun stuck in there about every other sentence.  Finally Hadley stops me and says, "Mom, stop whining.  I know all this stuff and will be fine."  Then we pulled up to drop off and her teacher started getting her out of the car and she about forgot to say goodbye to me.  She was to busy telling her teacher all about something.  I am sure she will talk her teacher's ear off by the end of the year... or month :)
When I picked her up from school she talked a mile a minute about everything.  She kept stressing that they had kid sized computers.  She also said there was a real dog there but didn't scream and stayed in line.  If you know Hadley this is a big deal.  She said, "Mom, it was short and I didn't even need my kissing hand.  But I might need it on Monday when I am there longer."  I said she was probably right.  I didn't want to tell her that I had to use my kissing hand a few times in the hour she was gone and I think Jillian did too.  We tried to keep busy at the library and grocery store but felt a little lost without our Hadley.  I am sure we will get used to the change and it will all be good!  Now off to the first dance class of the year.

No comments: